Advertisement

My 200K mile Tesla Pt 1: 78% less expensive than a gas vehicle

My 200K mile Tesla Pt 1: 78% less expensive than a gas vehicle Spreadsheet:

Tire video:

Background:
I purchased my 2013 Model S three years old with 16,000 miles. I originally began considering the Tesla due to what I thought was a significantly less expensive cost to operate the car than my current vehicle at the time, the Subaru Legacy.

Due to me driving more than 50,000 miles a year, the thought was to reduce the cost to fuel my vehicle - and if I could do that by buying an electric car - well known to be more efficient in total emissions - it would be a win-win.

This is the first of a three part video series on my experience with my Tesla. Make sure you’re subscribed so you don’t miss the next two parts in my series where I cover battery degradation and overall wear and tear.

1) Costs

A few disclaimers:
-This analysis does not include monthly payment or insurance since these things vary significantly by owner.
-Numbers outside of my specific use of my Tesla and my specific use case should be considered estimates
-The purpose of this analysis was to get an idea of how much money I saved in operational costs by going electric
-For brevity’s sake I’m giving you a summary of my findings, I’ll make the spreadsheet of my calculations available in the video description

Fuel Costs:
Audi A7
Subaru Legacy
Tesla Model S 75

Cost comparison
Cost per mile
% Difference

The delta between my Tesla and the Audi and Subaru becomes even more dramatic when you factor in European pricing for fuel.

Service/Repairs:
-I did have a 50,000 mile warranty when I purchased the car. This is why you see so many initial repairs covered by warranty.
-Most issues seem to be isolated to quality of parts, not wearing out. This is likely due to it being an early production version with a VIN in the low 8,000.
-Number of items fixed dropped by 69% from year one to year two, and then 40% from year to to year three

Maintenance:
-Not surprisingly, the most costly maintenance I’ve seen have been the tires.

Summary:
-When I first began looking at a Tesla it was a huge step up in price from my Subaru. However, my initial hypothesis revealed it should have been less expensive to operate even the host of the vehicle with more.
-Today, I can confirm that my initial hypothesis was correct.
-The cost to operate my Model S over 200K miles is significantly less than a gas vehicle
-Even the total cost to power my Tesla is still less expensive than just the cost to fuel a similar priced car.

*****************

Tesla referral code:

Become a Patreon supporter:


Like Tesla:
Now You Know:
Hyperchange: TV
Teslanomics:


Products I use:

Canon 80D:

JOBY GorillaPod 3K Kit. Compact Tripod 3K Stand and Ballhead 3K for Compact Mirrorless Cameras or Devices up to 3K (6.6lbs). Black/Charcoal:

Rode VMGO Video Mic GO Lightweight On-Camera Microphone Super-Cardioid:

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Winter Radial Tire - 245/45R19/XL 102H:

iOttie Easy One Touch 4:

KobraTech Mini Cell Phone Tripod:

#Tesla #ModelS #ElonMusk

Tesla,Model S,Model X,EV,Elon Musk,Model 3,Tesla Roadster,

Post a Comment

0 Comments