Advertisement

How To Tool Leather

How To Tool Leather Hey! I'm a show you how to take some drawing and tool or stamp them into leather. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It was a pretty fun leather diy craft. Also.. first 100 get Blinkist free for a week:

So.. I'm no professional leather worker, but I was pretty pumped with how it turned out:) at the end of the video I go over some tips and tricks I figured out along the way. But because this is the description of the video.. I'm just going to list those tips now

1. Make sure you have a hard surface underneath
2. practice on some scrap leather first.
3. make you you wet the leather down
4. tape the drawings down exactly where you want it. (mine was off a lil bit /:
5. don't tape on top of the leather.. it will leave a mark when you take it off.
6. don't push too hard when cutting the designs into the leather
7. when stamping or beveling the leather.. treat it like you're shading the object.
8. Also my may wanna practice using the texture stamps..
9. the harder/deeper the stamp goes into the leather, the darker it makes it.

Alright.. soo now I've listed the tips lets go over the process (seems a lil' ass backwards Bryan but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

first sketch out or find the design you want to tool into the leather. With a wet sponge wet down the top of the leather. then wait for it to dry to its original color (that could take like 10-20 minutes). tape your design on top of the leather and use a lil tracing tool.. I but you could use like a pen tbh.. to trace the image on the leather.

remove the paper and then use a knife to cut the design into the leather. once that is done you're ready to start tooling. You could basically use anything that will make a dent in the leather--screwdriver, butterknife, spoon, etc.. or you could just use tooling tools

It helped me to think of this as sculpting but also where ever you dent the leather in it goes darker.. so dent it/shade it where needed.

also I liked using the texture tools to give subtle differences between different parts.. like on the shoe I used a cross hatch texture for the rubber bottoms then the line texture on the canvas part of the shoe.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had a pretty fun time make this one.. I'll probably do a more traditional style on a camera harness in the future:)

Here are some of the tools I used:
$35 kit:
$16 leather:
that's what I used but here are some other options:
$12 hammer:
$9 swivel knife:

Music:
BMTJ
Bailey Daniel

Join my email list!:


Follow me and watch the art process:

Instagram:
Twitter:
Spotify:
Facebook:
Patreon:

Buy some stufffff from me:
Subscribe:

Like. Comment. Share.. or what ever.. ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

How To Tool Leather,leather stamp,leather stamping,diy,leather craft,how to,video,speed art,sketching,how to draw,timelapse,timelapse art,vans shoe,leather,flash art,flash sheet,tattoo,craft,crafty,crafting,shmoxd,tooling,tool,stamp,leather working,do it yourself,

Post a Comment

0 Comments