Advertisement

FUTURE TENSE: Will vs. Going to ๐Ÿ‘ [English Fluency Grammar Lesson]

FUTURE TENSE: Will vs. Going to ๐Ÿ‘ [English Fluency Grammar Lesson] Today we’ll learn about when to use WILL and GOING TO.
Join the waitlist for our complete English course here:

Both of them refer to future actions. Although in some cases they can be interchangeable, because there are multiple ways of expressing the same thing in English. However, knowing which one you think is best really just depends on what you’re trying to say.

Like I said before, you can use both WILL and GOING TO in the same sentence with no change in the meaning, but you really have to ask yourself what it is you’re really trying to say. So, you have to pay attention to the different types of situations so you can understand which of these two choices will be the best option when expressing a future action.

WHEN TO USE “WILL”
Will can be used in expressing rapid decisions, or a future action that you have decided on at the moment of speaking.
Examples:

“I’m thirsty! I think I will buy a drink.”

“This is so expensive! But I will be able to afford this someday.”

“Okay, I’ll go to your party!”

Remember also that the condensed form of I will is I’ll and will not is won’t. These are very much commonly used in conversational English.

Will can also be used when you are making an offer. For example:
“I will help with you your luggage, they look heavy!”

“You can’t go there alone, I’ll go with you.”

“I’ll get the mop for you.”

It’s also used for making promises.
“I will keep your secret.”

“I won’t let you down!”

“I’ll be there, I promise!”

And for making threats, which are very similar to promises but can be connoted negatively.
“I’ll break your nose if you hurt her.”

“If you don’t pull yourself together, I’ll never let you see me again.”

“I won’t pay for damages if you drive recklessly.”

USE WILL FOR A FAR FURTHER FUTURE ACTION
One important detail about “WILL” is that it is most often used to discuss things or situations that may take a long time to happen. Here are some examples of situations when he expression “WILL” is used:

Dreams
“Someday I will learn another language.”

Promises
“I promise I’ll call you tonight!”

To express actions that are far into the future
“I will get married someday.”

Requests
“Will you buy a hamburger for me? Thank you!”

To discuss a fact
“I’ll graduate from college next year”

After making a decision
“Yes! I will marry you!”

Help/Volunteer
“I’ll volunteer at this event tonight!”

WHEN TO USE “GOING TO”
One huge difference in using GOING TO versus WILL, is that you use GOING TO when the action was already decided on even before speaking of it.
Examples:

“I’m going to take some time off work this year.”

“They are going to adopt a child.”

“He’s going to quit his job and become an artist.”

Going to can also be used for a future action when there are signs or evidence that it is likely going to happen.
“They’ve been together forever. He’s going to propose soon.”

“This team is playing so bad today. They’re going to lose!”

“I shouldn’t have eaten that much! I’m gonna throw up!”

The condensed form of going to is gonna. And it’s worth practicing this in your conversations to sound more natural. Stick with “going to” in more formal communication, though.



Read the complete free lesson on the Go Natural English website here:


Learn English with the English Fluency Formula audio ebook FREE sample:


Watch the newest Go Natural English video next:


Learn the 7 Steps to English Speaking Fluency:


Get more information on how to learn American English online with us here:


☞ For one-to-one online conversational English lessons with our partners, visit:



Join Go Natural English on social media!
→ Facebook:
→ Twitter:
→ Instagram:
→ Youtube:

About Go Natural English:

In regular English classes, you learn English grammar and English vocabulary, and in our English speaking lessons, you'll learn English the Go Natural English way - with advice to help you speak English like a native, with real English conversation and listening practice. Here you'll finally learn American English with a focus on English speaking skills. Unlock the English speaking world and finally understand English conversation. Learn how to speak English fluently with our English speaking course! Get more information on how to learn American English online with us here:

best english course,best english lesson,english course,english lesson,english teacher,ielts,learn english online,online english course,online english lessons,toefl,clase de gramatica,como usar will y going to,diferencia entre will y going to,english,english-grammar,esl,grammar,hablar ingles,ingles,ingles divertido,ingles facil,la diferencia entre will & going to en inglรฉs,pronunciation,toeic,usar will y going to,will and going to,will y going to,

Post a Comment

0 Comments