Advertisement

How I Built an Inexpensive Shed That Looks Like a Million Bucks

How I Built an Inexpensive Shed That Looks Like a Million Bucks In this video I show how I built a shed using inexpensive lumber but not as inexpensive as a lot of the sheds you see nowadays (i.e. particleboard). I wanted it to reflect the quality of my house and share its design features and colors. I didn't keep a complete tally for the cost but I recall that the material for the metal roof was $50, the lumber for the board and batten rear facade was $25, the various stud and sill lumber was probably around $150. I know that I spent more on the doors (including the hinges) than the entire shed. The cost was mainly the hinges but the tongue in groove treated decking that makes the doors themselves was about $350. The roof decking was free, since it was pallet wood. The siding and trim was Lowes "appearance grade" pressure treated wood 1x8x12' boards which I think were about $8 each. For fine work I would have used treated then kiln dried clear SYP but these were still wet from the pressure treatment, had some knots, and it took a lot of digging in the pallet to find the best ones. The paint was left over from when I painted the house so the colors are an exact match. It's expensive paint so I imagine that if I had purchased it for this project specifically I would have spent around $250. By doing the work myself and having to buy only the materials, I ended up with a high quality shed for the same cost as a low quality shed built with paid labor. I am very happy with the way this turned out and the tenants are very happy to have somewhere to store their bikes. I'll report back on the longevity of the roof. I took a leap by using valley flashing. It occurred to me that although it's very thin gauge metal it is sold to be used for 30 year roofs, so wouldn't it stand to reason that it should last 30 years? I guess we'll see. This took me 2 weeks from start to finish, but not 8 hour days. It would have gone faster with a little help, which I did not have. Your comments and questions are welcomed.

Shed,how to build a shed,Standing seam roof,Bicycle shed,How to build a bike shed,Shed for Victorian house,Queen Anne Victorian Shed,DIY,

Post a Comment

0 Comments